Tuesday, June 21, 2011

just a thought...

I stole this article from another blog and appreciated the honesty in it. If you read the article this blog will make a bit more sense. Now, I'm not writing this to make anyone feel bad, or to throw my politics in your face, but I'm writing this to share my heart. Josh and I have long felt that hopefully we would at some point add a child to our family who did not share our DNA. Both of us have always felt a call to it and with his having 3 adopted sisters it was never a shock, or even a real discussion, just always a plan. I have no idea when that plan will happen, or maybe even if it will, now is certainly not the time for us to intentionally bring a child into our family who may need special needs, be it physically or emotionally, but hopefully someday we will be in that place. However, I know more than one couple, who have adopted children out of deep love and desire to have a family, regardless of how it is built, or what color it is.

"Adoption is an option" is this lovely quote that church-going individuals love to march around with, and YES, it is an option...but personally I remember very clearly those same individuals making an 18 year old, pregnant 'church brat' feel like her only option was to walk into a clinic. Adoption IS an option, one that is beautiful and selfless, but it is also one that requires an immense amount of support and guidance. It is a taboo subject that people are scared to discuss, and I don't understand why...

So, before my soapbox gets so large that it takes over this page, I will simply tell you to read the article and maybe a few of you will be willing to stand up...

No comments: